In my personal opinion, one of the key parts of this project for me was to create a strong brand for our game. This started with thinking about the logo. I wanted a strong, striking logo that would be easily recognisable.
The first thing I had to consider was the elements that the logo would be composed of, however I quickly decided I would use my experience in using type-only logos in previous designs to my team’s advantage. I played around with Avant Garde, a typeface I knew could work very well as a logo. A direct influence on the design of these logos was Herb Lubalin, a designer who I have a great passion for. Lubalin worked primarily with typography as a communicative device, which is what I’ve tried to achieve here.
The images above are the very first logo designs I created, using the colours we as a group had chosen. I simply lined the type up so that the E and H were aligned, and built the logo around that. Originally, for the retro look, I created the logos only as outlines, but realised that solid filled logos would probably be more emphatic.
Realising the original logo designs were probably too clean-cut, and not rough enough for our game, I decided to add a bit of texture and mix up the colours a bit. Instead of using just one colour, I used all three on a gradient, and coupled with a rusted metal texture, I think the final logo is much more suitable to be used as the main one for the game. With that said, I will still be using the plain colour logos for posters and branding elsewhere, as they are still good enough to function well in the project.