The final thing I did was create social media accounts for the game, as a way of reaching out to a wider audience to promote our material. Facebook and Twitter are being increasingly used by companies to promote their products, as there is a huge online presence in this day and age.
By using the Social media accounts, we have access to a bigger range of people, allowing us to get our message across easier.
@SpaceShoesGame on Twitter
Space Shoes – The Game on Facebook
As a side note to the main project, I created some t-shirt designs which I had hoped to put into production in time for our CoLAB show on 13-12-16, but due to financial limitations, I couldn’t afford to fund the printing of the shirts. However, I thought it would be worth including some of these designs on my blog, as evidence of branding opportunities I explored during the course of the project.
Above are a few examples, I did use all three colours, plus also the logo in white, and the final logo, as I was going to try and get one of each made for sale at the show.
I particularly like the designs with the logo spread across the chest, with their retro look I think if they were actually produced they could sell rather well. I asked numerous people on my college course – and out of college – and had at least 20 people say if the shirts were at a reasonable enough price they’d consider buying one, which can only be a good thing, right?
In my personal opinion, one of the key parts of this project for me was to create a strong brand for our game. This started with thinking about the logo. I wanted a strong, striking logo that would be easily recognisable.
The first thing I had to consider was the elements that the logo would be composed of, however I quickly decided I would use my experience in using type-only logos in previous designs to my team’s advantage. I played around with Avant Garde, a typeface I knew could work very well as a logo. A direct influence on the design of these logos was Herb Lubalin, a designer who I have a great passion for. Lubalin worked primarily with typography as a communicative device, which is what I’ve tried to achieve here.
The images above are the very first logo designs I created, using the colours we as a group had chosen. I simply lined the type up so that the E and H were aligned, and built the logo around that. Originally, for the retro look, I created the logos only as outlines, but realised that solid filled logos would probably be more emphatic.
Realising the original logo designs were probably too clean-cut, and not rough enough for our game, I decided to add a bit of texture and mix up the colours a bit. Instead of using just one colour, I used all three on a gradient, and coupled with a rusted metal texture, I think the final logo is much more suitable to be used as the main one for the game. With that said, I will still be using the plain colour logos for posters and branding elsewhere, as they are still good enough to function well in the project.