The next important part of this project was producing a promotional poster to advertise our game. As with all other aspects of the design for this project, I wanted a clean, simple design that would clearly show what our game was about.
First of all, I had to get an illustration to form the basis of the poster. The illustrator in my team refused to produce this illustration, despite me asking him to produce it for a period of at least two weeks. Instead,I had to ask our game artist to provide me with an illustration I could use viably for the poster. Luckily, she was more than happy to help right away, and I was finally able to finish making the poster.
The image above is a cropped version of the image provided by Artemis (our game artist) to be used as the main focus of the poster. It features our anonymous astronaut, the only playable character in the game to date.
Next, I added a logo to the image to try and make it more poster-like. The orange logo worked better than any of the others, in the opinion of myself and my team members. The landscape version of the poster didn’t work very effectively, in my opinion, so I tried again with a portrait orientation.
The image above shows the final detailing for the poster designs. I decided that to give it a bit more realism, adding a company logo (Talentless Games Co., a mock company for our “game development”), a QR Code that when scans leads to a Twitter page I also created for the game, and a PEGI age rating which is present in almost every game available to purchase digitally or physically.
Here is the final poster design, with all the elements combined. I think the composition and the colours both work incredibly well, and it clearly communicates that we are advertising a new game. Knowing the necessity of producing a high quality poster to showcase our game, I not only took opinions from my team, but also my fellow classmates, and even had a few tell me if I were to produce the posters for sale, they would actually buy them.